Tooth-Colored Fillings – Glenpool, OK
Seamless Repair for Smiles after Decay
Decay is a common dental issue we see in both children and adults. The only way to treat cavities is to remove the decay and fill the tooth. At Complete Cosmetic Care Dentistry, we do not use mercury-based silver fillings as a part of our general dentistry offerings. After years of using silver and mercury amalgam to fill cavities, the dental profession has found that not only do these fillings have an unpleasant appearance, but they also weaken the remaining tooth structure causing what appears as cracks on the tooth enamel.
Instead, our fillings are made of a dental resin that can be colored to match your natural tooth color perfectly. These tooth-colored fillings offer several advantages over traditional metal fillings used in general dentistry, including aesthetics and health. Many of our patients are choosing to begin their smile makeover by replacing their old mercury-based fillings with tooth-colored restorations. Your old silver fillings can be replaced in just one general dentistry appointment leaving you with a beautiful, healthy smile.
Why Choose Complete Cosmetic Care Dentistry for Tooth-Colored Fillings?
- Completely Metal Free
- Advanced Technology for Fast, Accurate Diagnosis
- Patients of All Ages Welcome
What are tooth-colored fillings made of?
Traditionally, metal fillings consist of amalgam, or a combination of several metal, including silver and mercury. In contrast, tooth-colored fillings are made of composite resin, a mixture of dental plastic and fine ceramic particles. This filling material bonds directly to the tooth structure, creating a tight fit and a seamless appearance for your restored tooth.
What are the benefits of tooth-colored fillings?
The composite resin material provides many advantages that amalgam fillings simply can’t, including the following:
- Tooth-colored resin will match your natural tooth color and contour, making it less visible.
- This type of filling allows you to keep more of your tooth’s healthy structure.
- The resin contain fluoride which prevents further tooth decay.
- You don’t have to worry about metal allergies or sensitivity to hot or cold in that tooth.
Why should you replace your silver/amalgam fillings?
If you already have amalgam fillings, you may be tempted to keep them as they are. However, you really should consider switching these fillings for composite resin for the following reasons:
- Silver fillings weaken the remaining tooth structure.
- The edges of the silver filling can weaken, wear down, or break.
- Decay can begin to develop beneath the edges of weakened silver fillings.
- The mercury in silver fillings can corrode, leak, and cause staining on your teeth.
- Silver fillings are unattractive.
How are tooth-colored fillings placed?
Whether you’re replacing your old fillings or you have a new cavity that needs to be resolved, the process goes as follows:
- One of our dentists will administer a local anesthetic, numbing the area.
- Then, we will remove the old filling or the decayed portions of your tooth and make sure the tooth is clean and bacteria free.
- We will choose the shade of composite resin that most closely matches your tooth’s enamel and apply it to your tooth.
- A special light is used to harden the resin in layers, and your dentist will sculpt it into an aesthetically pleasing shape.
By the time we’re done, no one will be able to tell that you had dental work done on that tooth.
How should you care for tooth-colored fillings?
With the proper care, this durable restoration can last for about 10 years. The good news is that fillings require the exact same care as your natural teeth. All you need to do is brush twice and floss once daily and attend your dental checkup and cleaning at our Glenpool practice twice every year.
If you’re ready for a healthy smile, contact us for your appointment today. Dr. Mohanna, Dr. Georgy, and Dr. MacLeod are accepting new patients and would love to see your smile. Our Glenpool general dentistry practice serves members of the Tulsa, Glenpool, Jenks, Okmulgee, and Keifer communities.
I Need a Checkup & Cleaning I am Looking for a Dentist for My Child I am Concerned About Bleeding Gums I Have a Cavity or Broken Tooth I am Missing One or More Teeth I am Unhappy with My Smile I Want a Straighter Smile I am Scared of the Dentist I am in Pain & Need Help I am Concerned with Sleep Apnea View Our Services